hh.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Etymological Elaboration versus Written Context: A study of the effects of two elaboration techniques on idiom retention in a foreign language
Halmstad University, School of Education, Humanities and Social Science.
2017 (English)Independent thesis Basic level (university diploma), 10 credits / 15 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

The premise that idioms are an important feature in second language learning and teaching is what underpinned the present study. The aim is to investigate what teaching method is the most effective for idiom retention; etymological elaboration or context elaboration. It is a small scale study run focusing on two groups of 9th grade students were approximately 80% of the students had Swedish as their mother tongue, whilst the remaining 20% had other languages. One group of 18 students where taught 15 opaque idioms. The idioms were presented with their etymology. The preference group consisted of 19 students and the same idioms were presented to this group in context. A pre-test was given to both groups in order to establish what idioms they already knew. A post-test was run immediately after the ecture, where the idioms were presented either in context or with their etymology, in order to determine the methods’ effect on immediate retention. After three weeks, a second post-test was run in order to discover the degree to which the idioms had reached the students’ longterm memory and compare the two teaching techniques accordingly. A questionnaire was also conducted in order to gauge out the students’ idiom awareness and to what degree they believed that the teaching method helped them to remember the idioms.

The results of the study show that both teaching techniques are beneficial on idiom retention. Context elaboration, however, turned out to be most effective on immediate- and long-term retention.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2017. , 37 p.
Keyword [en]
Etymological elaboration, Context elaboration, L2 idiom
National Category
Humanities
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:hh:diva-33268OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hh-33268DiVA: diva2:1074180
Subject / course
English
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2017-03-21 Created: 2017-02-14 Last updated: 2017-03-21Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(402 kB)31 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT02.pdfFile size 402 kBChecksum SHA-512
a1ff5eb8f4156bb15a7563d72b449a1b434a6eb5154102cd0a0e396856eba992c3dd930a3d2be1acb8a9e2ab111a0813d070444eb98497e47dd1aac5139b92ec
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Bergstrand, Nina
By organisation
School of Education, Humanities and Social Science
Humanities

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 31 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 69 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf